Music, videos, trivia, stories, books, gigs and news. Here you´ll find stuff on the great bands from the 70s and 80s!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tony Iommi Proud to be Heavy Metal


The West Midlands of England, which has been the global home to bands such as
 Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Napalm Death, is celebrating its heavy rock heritage through a new project called "Home Of Metal".

"Home Of Metal - Celebrating Music From Birmingham And The Black Country" is a one-of-a-kind exhibit celebrating 40 years of heavy metal and its unique birthplace. The exhibition runs until September 25 at the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery in Birmingham, England. 

"Since we were so-called inventors of this music, and coming from Birmingham and all the surrounding things that are going on, it's really great for Birmingham and it's really great for us all," Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi - who has been involved with the project - tells the BBC in a new podcast which can be streamed below. 

He added, "I wasn't familiar with (the term 'heavy metal') for quite a few years. I mean, I always looked at what we did as heavy rock. And when that term was first mentioned to me… Somebody said, 'Oh, you play heavy metal.' And I said, 'What? What's that?' And this was a journalist from a well-known magazine. He said, 'Well, that's what you play - it's heavy metal.' And I'd been in America for quite awhile, so when I came back and I heard this term, I'd never heard it. And, of course, ever since that, that's been non-stop. I still think we're heavy rock, but you are put into a bag, and I'm quite proud of it now."

Over the past four years, "Home Of Metal" has scoured the U.K. and beyond for relics, artefacts, memorabilia and interesting stories. The show will offer an insight into the region's industrial history, the early blues-rocks sound, the changing music industry, DIY politics and the global impact of the sound as well as a chance to hear stories from both the fans and the artists.



No comments:

Post a Comment