Music, videos, trivia, stories, books, gigs and news. Here you´ll find stuff on the great bands from the 70s and 80s!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Duff McKagan: It´s So Easy (And Other Lies)" Cover Unveiled

Duff McKagan's much-anticipated autobiography, "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)", is scheduled to arrive on October 4 via Touchstone Books (formerly Touchstone Fireside), a division of Simon & Schuster

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone magazine, McKagan stated about the 304-page hardcover, "It's not really my story, it's really not even my autobiography or memoir. I think that term is overused. It is a story of some shit that happened to me, but probably not the typical [things] what people might expect. It's not my story of Guns n' Roses or Velvet Revolver. All of those things are sort of in it, because they're things I bounced through as I was getting deeper and deeper into addiction and finding my way out. It was challenging going through some of these things that I hadn't thought about for a long time. And writing forces you to take your own part of your life, of what role you actually played - as opposed to the one you make up later on."


Speaking to Icon Vs. Icon, Duff stated about "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)", "It is my story as I would tell it in my writing, not as I would sit down and tell you my story because I wouldn't really know how to tell you my story. I can write it and get into the bleaker, darker things a lot easier and the more joyful things that have happened, especially after I got sober. It is basically a story of 'How did a guy like me get from Seattle to addiction, totally, fully addicted? How did that happen?' Because the most common question that I get asked in private is, 'How did you get sober?' I get asked that a ton by people that are still out there using. So I wrote about it. I wrote about how I got into that place. [Laughs] It is also my story of playing in punk rock bands up [Seattle] and going down to L.A. and the first band that formed was Guns N' Roses. That band wasn't the reason that I got addicted. It was just the situation that I was in. Drinking, drugs and whatnot was completely condoned, especially by our band. I am not blaming anyone else. I take my part in my life. I take accountability for myself. I think that too often we go through life and if something like that happens in your life, you are quick to point a finger and say, 'Well, those motherfuckers …' or 'That guy…' or 'Us going on late was that guy's fault …' or 'it was management.' I just took accountability for things that I probably could have done differently. Going all the way into the addiction part was gnarly to write about. I really hadn't figured that to happen but I went through a couple of months of really saying, 'Whoa! Fuck! I never even thought about this stuff. It is in my past.' I think it is a good book [pauses] because I wrote it! [Laughs] I am editing it so I have written and read the words, different edits, about eight to 10 times! I think it is good. I can't tell anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment