Music, videos, trivia, stories, books, gigs and news. Here you´ll find stuff on the great bands from the 70s and 80s!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Journey: Drummer Deen Castronovo; "I'd Love To Work With KISS"

Journey drummer Deen Castronovo discussed KISS during a recent interview with City Beat's Amy Harris. An excerpt follows: 

Q: I read that some of your earlier influences were RUSH's Neil Peart and from Peter Criss of KISS. I actually had an interview last year with Eric Singer. Have you played with any of these guys before and is there someone you’d really love to play with that you haven’t had a chance to yet? 

A: "For me, I’ve never got to meet Neil Peart, never met Peter Criss. I am also a really big Steve Smith fan, the original drummer for Journey; he was a big influence on me as well. But if I could play with any band, I mean, I have a list of four or five people … I’d love to work with KISS. They were my Beatles. I would love to work with those guys. Eric got the gig, and he is a monster. He is a great friend and great monster." 

Q: What is your greatest rock and roll moment ever? 

A: "As a player or as a fan?" 

Q: Both. Player first. 

A: "As a player, I would say joining Journey honestly was the biggest thing ever for me. Bad English was my first big band and I will never forget that. But getting asked to play in this band is an honor and a privilege. I’m very humbled to do it. 

As a fan, you’re gonna love this, seeing KISS for the first time when I was 11 years old. It was the coolest thing ever. Like I said, they were my Beatles. They were the reason I became a drummer. To see them and now being friends with Paul Stanley, and Eric and Tommy Thayer. I grew up with Tommy as well. I went and actually saw them in Oshkosh. The band flew out toOmaha and I stayed in Oshkosh just to see KISS, me and my drum tech. So I’m a huge fan. Those would have to be my greatest times." 

Q: I actually photographed them and saw them for the first time last summer. It kind of took my breath away almost. It was probably one of the best shows I have ever shot. 

A: "They’re incredible. I agree with you. They are incredible. The music, to me, is the soundtrack to my childhood. But to watch them play, they never missed a beat, and they always bring their A game as well. They make sure the fans get their money’s worth and that’s what is so amazing to me. They are in their late 50s and early 60s and they still kill every night. It is so incredible." 

(Thanks: KISSOnline)

No comments:

Post a Comment