Music, videos, trivia, stories, books, gigs and news. Here you´ll find stuff on the great bands from the 70s and 80s!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Bob Daisley: In Depth Interview Covering His Entire Amazing Career Available

BraveWords.com recently caught up with bassist and lyricist extraordinaire Bob Daisley, who boasts a career spanning over 40 years and a resume filled to the brim with such notable acts as Ozzy Osbourne, Rainbow, Uriah Heep, Gary  Moore, Black Sabbath and many more. With the anxiously-anticipated Deluxe Editions of Ozzy's first two landmark solo efforts, "Blizzard Of Ozz" (1980) and "Diary Of A Madman" (1981), hitting the street at the end of the month, Daisley spent time with BraveWords.com correspondent Cory Lambert answering a vast array of questions from the past, present and future. Beginning with the most obvious (!), why do the Gods of rock n' roll smile on him so much? 


Bob Daisley: (laughs) "That's a funny question. Have never been asked that before. (laughs). I suppose in some ways I have been blessed. You know I feel very fortunate and grateful for the way my career has gone and for some of the great people I have had the pleasure to work with. I mean, from a young age, I was ready to put my best into what I did and make sacrifices and make that effort I think you get results. I suppose I have as you said, been smiled on by the gods."

BraveWords.com: Recently on th
e
 BraveWords.com Facebook page,
they asked who Bob Daisley was and the most common response was "genius" or "legend".

Bob Daisley: "Wow, that's fantastic. It's really amazing. It's really an honour for me to hear stories like those. I mean, how the lyrics started out, was I had written things before but I had not regarded myself as a lyricist or anything but it was really; well, necessity is the mother of invention and Randy (Rhoads) wasn't a lyricist and Ozzy hadn't written any lyrics in Black Sabbath. Lee Kerslake has written some songs himself, but he himself said he was not a good lyricist. I remember coming down one morning when we were rehearsing and writing and auditioning drummers, before Lee was in the band and Ozzy and Randy had tried to put some lyrics together, but I read them and thought this was so Spinal Tap, I mean, they were awful. (laughs) I mean, Spinal Tap was not out yet, but they were corny and cheesy lyrics. I just thought to myself that I had better write the lyrics. Ozzy was good at vocal melodies and obviously Randy was a genius guitar player, so I did the lyrics. Well, I co-wrote a lot of the music with Randy. A lot of the classic riffs, well, those are Randy's but we put the songs together musically. And then Ozzy came up with the melodies and I wrote the lyrics to them. It was a combined effort and I think it was all meant to happen, I mean it seems that way." 



Read the entire interview on this location.


No comments:

Post a Comment