Music, videos, trivia, stories, books, gigs and news. Here you´ll find stuff on the great bands from the 70s and 80s!

Friday, March 4, 2011

James Hetfield: I Have Become The Voice For Others Speaking Through The Music


On Thursday, March 3, Rockville Music Magazine conducted an interview with Metallica guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield and filmmaker Justin Hunt at the San Rafael California Film Institute in San Rafael, California. Hetfield and Hunt presented and discussed the award-winning documentary "Absent", exploring the worldwide crisis of absent and disengaged fathers and the negative impact that the "father wound" makes on society. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Hetfield: (smiling) No. And if there happens to be a show that is accidentally book because I'm, you know, (laughing) in the early ages of Alzheimer's, or too much headbanging, then [my kids] are there. We'll pull them from school and fly them to Lisbon or fly them to Philly, or wherever it is, so the kids gets to celebrate with their Pops. But, you know, that was the old me. Fatherhood, I don't know, I can only speak for myself. I was waiting to be ready for it, and now when I talk to some friends [who are saying], 'I don't know if this is the girl for me, I'm afraid we're going to have kids. I don't know how to do all this.' I say, 'Ah, well you're normal.' I had no clue on what to do. I thought I'd better start reading some books on how to be dad. I started to get mad. My dad didn't teach me to do this or this. How can I teach my kids if he didn't teach me?! I'd better go learn it. There was a lot of resentment that came from fear. And once I figured out they don't need all of that. They don't need the instructions. They need guidance. They need love. They need you to be there, simple as that. They have been the teachers. (laughing) I have not taught them a whole lot. I told them a bunch of stories, basically. (More laughter from Hunt and Hetfield) They have taught me a lot about myself, and life, and how to live life easier.

Read more on Blabbermouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment