Music, videos, trivia, stories, books, gigs and news. Here you´ll find stuff on the great bands from the 70s and 80s!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Vinny Appice: Talks Career In New Interviews


In early March, WatchMojo.com conducted an interview with legendary drummer Vinny Appice (DIO, Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell, Kill Devil Hill). You can now watch the chat below.

SleazeRoxx also recently conducted an interview with the legendary drummer. Read excerpts below:

Sleaze Roxx: You have a new band called Kill Devil Hill, when did the band begin to take shape?


Vinny Appice: It happened when we wrapped up the last Heaven & Hell tour, I think that was around the fall of 2009. I always wanted to have my own band. I have tried getting different projects going in the past and they never panned out -- they'd always get interrupted or something happened. After the 2009 Heaven & Hell tour I had to have shoulder surgery, but before that I had recorded a number of drum tracks. Just a few days after having completed these great sounding drum tracks I got a call from my surgeon's office saying that they could get me in the following Monday. I said "okay, let's do it." I was in a sling afterward and I couldn't play, so I started listening back to the drum tracks and I thought I'd get Jimmy Bain to come up with something to play over them. I remembered that guitarist Mark Zavon lived nearby and I loved his playing so I called him up and I really liked what he came up with. The next thing we needed to do was to look for a singer. I heard a CD that had Dewey Bragg singing on it and I said, "That's the guy that we need." What I liked about Dewey was that he sang these weird harmonies -- he didn't sound 80's and he had a great voice. He was just what I was looking for. 

We continued working with Jimmy Bain but things didn't work out. We brought in several bass players but they didn't fit. In the meantime we continued jamming and writing songs -- Mark and I wrote a lot of lyrics and melody lines. I heard that Rex Brown was getting ready to leave Down. I'd known Rex for a while so I sent him some of the music, he listened to it, and really liked it a lot. He came in, laid down his bass over it, and really filled it up. So I guess the answer is that Kill Devil Hill evolved on its own. 

Read the entire interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment