Music, videos, trivia, stories, books, gigs and news. Here you´ll find stuff on the great bands from the 70s and 80s!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Whitesnake: Doug Aldrich Interview + New Song "My Evil Ways" Audio

Sleazeroxx.com recently conducted an interview with Whitesnake axeman Doug Aldrich. They talked about Whitesnake, the new album "Forevermore" and his past with Ronnie James Dio. Read excerpts below.

Sleaze Roxx: You've been in Whitesnake since 2002 -- were you a fan of the band or Coverdale's work?

Doug Aldrich: Originally I signed up for a two month tour in 2002. I've been a fan since I was about 16, I recall my mother had dropped me off at my friend's house because we wanted to learn how to play "Mistreated". There was no way that I could have played "Burn" at that time! I've been a fan since I was a teenager. I really love David's voice, I was definitely influenced by Deep Purple and later on by Whitesnake. When David left Deep Purple it would have been easy to do a Deep Purple Jr. kind of a thing but instead he did Whitesnake. The music was very different, it was blues based, it was gutsy, and had a sound that was influenced by bands like Slade, Status Quo, Thin Lizzy and stuff like the Allman Brothers. As you know, it wasn't until Slide It In that Whitesnake found success in America, but there were several records released in Europe before that. I was fortunate enough to have been turned on to those records early on.

Sleaze Roxx: As a fan of Whitesnake from all eras it sounds like you locked yourself in a room and you didn't surface until you came out with classic 'Snake riffs. Was it that simple?

Doug Aldrich: You know we didn't really think about it that much. We didn't sit around thinking that we needed to write a ballad for instance that sounded a certain way, because it would be cutting off a lot of other inspiration. We would just write. There are songs that naturally sounded like the classic Whitesnake blues sound and then David added his touch to it. We approached all of the songs in the same manner as we did with the last album Good To Be Bad. I definitely didn't sit down with a goal to write another "Still Of The Night" or another "Slide It In"... I just couldn't do it. I just had to let the songs come out the way that they are. That's actually the advice I have for anyone that writes -- don't put any constraints on yourself, just see what happen

Read the entire interview on this location. Below you´ll find an audio clip of "My Evil Ways" from the new album. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment